Niacinamide is a skincare ingredient that is worthy of your attention and your skin will love you for it. Among a handful of other amazing ingredients such as retinol and vitamin C, niacinamide is a standout because of its versatility for almost any skin type and concern. Oh, and French girls swear by it.
What is Niacinamide?
Niacinamide (also known as nicotinamide) is a form of vitamin B3. It is an essential water-soluble vitamin that our bodies do not produce on its own. It works with the natural substances in your skin to help strengthen its barrier. This can help improve the skin’s overall appearance and reduce the impact of environmental damage, as well as repair signs of past damage.
- Restores the skin: Niacinamide helps restore cellular energy, repair damaged cells, and reduce the damaging effects of environmental stressors. It helps to renew and restore the surface of the skin by helping it to improve its natural production of skin-strengthening ceramides.
- Lightens pigmentation: Niacinamide fights off both internal and external stressors that ultimately lead to the breakdown of our skin that can cause discolouration and pigmentation. It also prevents the transfer of pigment within the skin, reducing brown spots.
- Tightens pores and combats oiliness: Niacinamide works to regulate the production of oil that can cause blockages in the pores. It also helps pores to return to their normal size after being stretched by acne, blemishes and sun damage.
- Great for sensitive skin and redness: This hydrating ingredient is relatively non-irritating and pairs well with most active ingredients.
- Treats acne and rosacea: Niacinamide’s anti-inflammatory properties make it suitable for treating skin concerns such as acne and rosacea. Its oil-regulating features also help to prevent acne-causing build up in the pores.
Niacinamide is a powerhouse ingredient that is great for both skin restoration and brightening. It’s often recommended for sensitive skin as it is a relatively low risk ingredient. However, when used in too high of a concentration, it can cause irritation. Formulated products typically contain a 2-10% concentration range, which is usually safe to use up to twice daily. For extra sensitive skin, it’s best to use a lower concentration and build up tolerance first.
How to Use It
As mentioned, niacinamide is a relatively simple and low risk ingredient to add to your routine. It works best when paired well with other active ingredients. For instance, niacinamide boosts the hydrating ability of other moisturisers such as glycerin and hyaluronic acid. When paired with vitamin C, it can enhance its antioxidant properties. It’s like feeding your skin a well-balanced diet where the different food on your plate gives you different benefits.
For best results, use leave-on products on cleansed skin once or twice daily. You can use it either in the morning or the evenings (or both!) so experiment to see what works best for your skin!
This 10% niacinamide serum works to reduce blemishes and the appearance of enlarged pores. It’s also great with controlling oil production. The formula is water-based, alcohol- and fragrance-free, making it a great lightweight serum to help with blemishes.
This cream has a lightweight balm texture that does not feel too heavy or sticky on the skin. This formula also contains 40% centella leaf water to soothe and calm inflammations, redness and sensitivity. This is a great skin-repairing and hydrating cream that is suitable for all skin types.
This anti-blemish creams specifically targets blemishes and marks left from acne. It works to unclog pores and refine the skin texture, and is gentle enough to be used on sensitive skin.
This niacinamide serum helps even out skin tone and strengthen the skin barrier. It is formulated for those with dull skin, new breakout marks and sun damage. It also treats moderate acne and rosacea.
This high-strength vitamin and mineral blemish formula is a dream come true for oily skin. This potent serum targets breakouts, minimizes pores and regulates oil production. This is a holy-grail product that many acne-prone people swear by.