Polypeptides are one of the most talk-about skincare ingredients in the field of anti-ageing skincare. They have been widely thought to help boost and preserve collagen and, in turn, keep the skin looking youthful. But are they worth the hype? We’ll cover everything from what peptides are, to how it benefits the skin, and how to incorporate it in your routine below!
What are Polypeptides?
Polypeptides (also known as peptides) are naturally occurring amino acids that make up certain proteins needed by the skin. Collagen (which is responsible for keeping your skin supple and elastic) is made of three polypeptide chains, so adding this ingredient to your routine can stimulate your skin to produce more collagen. While our bodies produce collagen naturally, as we age, those production levels drop. This leads to our skin looking less even and bright, and for wrinkles to develop. This is when collagen-boosting ingredients such as vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, retinol and polypeptides come in.
- Boosts collagen levels: Peptides tell your cells to produce more collagen. By applying them directly to your skin, you’re telling your body it needs to make more collagen. As we age, collagen production decreases, which causes dehydrated skin, wrinkles, and loss of firmness in the skin.
- Diminishes fine lines: Rebuilding collagen helps to preserve the skin’s youthful appearance and make it look plumper.
- Strengthens the skin barrier: The skin barrier is our bodies’ first line of defense against bacteria, pollution, UV rays, and other toxins. The skin barrier can be damaged from certain products, pollution, or even poor sleep. Polypeptides help to build up a stronger barrier and maintain our skin health.
- Locks in hydration: Low levels of collagen can lead to dehydrated skin. By boosting collagen levels, polypeptides also boost hydration.
- Repairs damaged skin: Polypeptides can help ease inflammation and works to heal the skin from the inside out.
Polypeptides generally have no side effects and are safe to use for all skin types.
While it’s clear that peptides are great for the skin, as an isolated ingredient they might not be enough. Research on polypeptides is still developing, whereas other ingredients such as AHAs and retinol are currently more scientifically backed anti-aging ingredients. Peptides work best in conjunction with other effective ingredients such as antioxidants and skin-repairing ingredients for optimal results.
How to Use It
Polypeptides are safe to use twice daily, so you can use them in both your AM and PM routines. If you’re looking to incorporate this ingredient into your routine, try finding products like serums or moisturisers that aren’t washed off the skin immediately. The smaller molecule size of serums and creams can also help the peptides to penetrate the skin more deeply.
As mentioned before, polypeptides alone are not enough to make significant improvements to the skin. It’s therefore smart to pair it with other boosting ingredients such as vitamin C and hyaluronic acid. However, it’s best to avoid using it with AHAs as it will reduce the efficacy of peptides.
This lightweight moisturiser is infused with hyaluronic acid, giving your skin an extra boost of hydration. Its formula contains an amino-peptide complex II that helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Plus, it contains SPF which is an extra bonus!
This locally made serum has received amazing customer reviews from all over the country. It contains a peptide blend to help promote collagen production and assist in restoring damaged skin, as well as copper tripeptide that contains powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits.
Many professionals in the skincare industry have agreed that the most popular and effective peptide combination in skincare is Matrixyl 3000. This serum from The Ordinary has successfully harnessed this ingredient and set the gold standard in formulation – it’s no surprise that this is a cult-favourite!
If you’re willing to go a more high-end route, this breakthrough protein moisturiser has received fierce admiration from editors and reviewers alike. It has masterfully blended peptides, amino acids and pygmy water lily extract to deliver noticeable improvements In the skin’s tone, texture and firmness.